So I am a pretty healthy person consuming a vegetarian diet and exercises regularly. I eat vegan when I can, specifically and especially on #MeatlessMondays. I believe that anything in moderation is a good rule of thumb. That being said, I do appreciate comfort food.
Today in LA was rainy, windy and a down right 63 degree freezing! So after getting out of my Maui haze and longing for the 85 degrees I had just spent 5 days in, a slow cooked carbo loaded dish was all that would do.
Here is my recipe for Mac n Cheese*.
*it should be noted that when I eat dairy I use only Organic, no hormone, locally farmed products
- 1 box/lb. of pasta (pasta such as shells or elbows are great!). I used Pipe Rigate.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter or butter substitute (I used Earth Balance).
- 16 ounces of shredded melty cheese (Guerrier, cheddar, swiss are good).
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Fresh basil (about 6 medium-large leaves).
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, boil 5-6 cups of water with a few pinches of salt. Once at a boil, cook pasta for 8 minutes or until al dente.
- In a second medium saucepan on medium low heat, warm the milk.
- In a third small saucepan, melt butter and cook minced garlic for 1 minute. Keep heat on medium low.
- Sprinkle flour in and begin to whisk to form a rue. This will turn a deep mustard color (after about 2 minutes).
- Once this is formed, slowly pour in the warmed milk while continuing to wisk. This will thicken slightly after 3 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese. Whisk to combine.
- Drain cooked pasta.
- Pour cheese mixture onto pasta. Combine with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in oven safe casserole dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over until covered. Sprinkle basil on top as well.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. The breadcrumbs should turn a nice golden brown color.
- Once done in the oven, let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Spoon out in heaps and serve!
Enjoy and stay warm and make sure to hit the gym tomorrow!
Leave a Comment
- Renée’s Pasta Fagioli or Pasta Fazool (In 10 easy steps!)
- Jalapeño Cream Cheese