This recipe is another family traditions. It is so easy, even my boyfriend who thinks it’s okay to microwave eggs can make it!
I suggest making this recipe when you need a filling lunch or dinner, only have 20-30 minutes, and $5 in your pocket. Literally!
Here’s what you need: Serves 2-4
- ½- pound angel hair pasta. (I used Barilla; whole-wheat pasta is a good option.)
- 4 –tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. (May seem like a lot, but this is the base of the sauce.)
- 2- 14.5 oz. cans of tomatoes in juice, diced.
- 2-4 cloves of fresh garlic (I use four large cloves because I believe garlic is the fountain of youth!)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil.
- Optional: crushed red pepper flake
What you do:
- Bring water and about two palms full of salt in a large saucepan to a boil. The water should cover the pasta completely.
- Heat the olive oil and in a medium saucepan. Heat should be on medium high.
- Add the minced (chopped into teeny- tiny pieces of) garlic and cook until it is light brown, about a minute. Do NOT burn the garlic, or it will make the entire dish bitter.
- Add the tomatoes and a dash of salt to taste. Bring to a boil, about 15 minutes.
- After the sauce has been boiling, drop heat to low and add the dried basil.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook 4-5 minutes max.
- Drain pasta, keeping a cup of the pasta water to ad to the sauce in case it becomes too thick.
- Pour sauce over pasta, combine and serve.
- Optional: add ¼ teaspoon (or to taste; I like mine spicy) red pepper flake.
- Simple, light but filling, and pocket friendly. Enjoy!
Mangia, Mangia! (Translation: Eat, eat in Italian.)
Leave a Comment
- The Brown Rice Cleanse
- Taco Salad